Heart traveled 323 Kilometers in 94 minutes: For a 4-year-old girl
A live heart was transported from Aurangabad to Mumbai, a distance of 323.5 kilometres, in a record time of 94 minutes and was successfully transplanted into a 4-year-old girl.
A statement from Fortis Hospital in suburban Mulund, where the transplant took place, said that the operation was successful and the girl, a resident of Jalna, was under observation.
The hospital statement said that the live heart of a 13-year-old boy, who died in a road accident, was retrieved in Aurangabad’s MGM Hospital on Friday from where it left for Aurangabad Airport at 1:50 pm.
It reached the airport at 1:54 pm covering the 4.8-kilometre distance in 4 minutes thanks to a green corridor set in place there, the hospital said.\
A chartered flight brought the heart to Mumbai Airport at 3:05 pm from where it was rushed, via a green corridor, to Fortis Hospital, 18 kilometres away, in 19 minutes.
“The heart reached Fortis at 3:24 pm, one hour and thirty-four minutes after it was retrieved in Aurangabad. The distance covered stood at 323.5 kilometres,” Fortis officials said on Saturday.
Fortis Hospital, Mulund is a JCI accredited, 300-bed multi-specialty tertiary care hospital providing a range of diagnostic and treatment services. With cutting edge technology, highly skilled and experienced surgeons and paramedical staff the Fortis Hospital at Mulund provide a patient-centric approach. This facility specializes in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Urology, Nephrology, Neurosciences, Orthopaedics, Digestive Care, Emergency Care and Critical Care, Maternity care among others.
The hospital has a host of accreditations to its name:
- Five times JCI accreditation (quality as per international standards)
- Best Hospital -Cardiology at the Times Healthcare Achievers Awards 2018
- NABH Accreditation (quality standards specified across India)
- 1st NABH accredited Blood Bank in India
- Three times NABL accredited Pathology Lab
- British Medical Journal(BMJ) Awards India 2014-Medical Team of the Year
- Asian Hospital Management Awards (2014) Hat-trick – Patient Safety & HRD category
- Asian Patient Safety Award (2014) – Innovation in Staff Education
- Healthcare Leadership Awards 2014 – Best Patient Safety
- FICCI Healthcare award for Operational Excellence (consecutively in 2012 & 2013)
- National Energy Conservation Award bestowed by Honourable President of India (2012)
- Best Orthopaedic Hospital (Indian Healthcare Awards 2011)