How to apply for Aadhar Card online: Here’s step-by-step guide
Aadhaar is a 12-digit number that is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to residents of India. Here's how you can apply online.
What is Aadhar Card?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identity number that can be obtained voluntarily by residents or passport holders of India, based on their biometric and demographic data. The data is collected by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), a statutory authority established in January 2009 by the government of India, under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, following the provisions of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services) Act, 2016.
The UIDAI is mandated to assign a 12-digit unique identification (UID) number to all the residents of India. Aadhaar is the world’s largest biometric ID system. World Bank Chief Economist Paul Romer described Aadhaar as “the most sophisticated ID program in the world”. Considered a proof of residence and not a proof of citizenship, Aadhaar does not itself grant any rights to domicile in India.
Steps to apply for Aadhar Card:
- Proof of Identity (PoI)
Government Photo ID Cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
NREGS Job Card
Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
Photo Bank ATM Card
Photo Credit Card
Pensioner Photo Card
Freedom Fighter Photo Card
Kisan Photo Passbook
CGHS/ECHS Photo Card
Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Proof of Address (PoA)
Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
Government Photo ID cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
Water bill (not older than 3 months)
Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead
NREGS Job Card
Freedom Fighter Card
Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) Income Tax Assessment Order
Vehicle Registration Certificate
Registered Sale/Lease/Rent Agreement
Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
Passport of Spouse
Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
- Date of Birth(DoB) document
Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
How to apply for Aadhaar card:
- Locate an Aadhaar enrollment center near your area.
- For the Enrolment of your Aadhaar data, you can book an online appointment at an Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
- Keep all your supporting documents handy such as proof of identity, address proof, and date of birth.
- When you visit the enrolment center, fill in an enrolment form with relevant information.
- At the enrolment center, after the submission of the enrolment form and documents, you will be required to submit your biometric data, i.e., your fingerprints and iris scan. Your photograph will also be taken at the enrolment center.
- After the submission of all of the above, an acknowledgment slip will be issued to the applicant. Keep the acknowledgment slip safely as you can use this number to check your Aadhaar status on the UIDAI website.
- Once your Aadhaar is generated, you will also receive an SMS from UIDAI confirming the same if your mobile number is mentioned at the time of enrolment.
- Aadhaar card will be sent to your address via post.
- Where can I enroll for Aadhaar?
You have to visit an Aadhaar Enrolment center set up by Enrolment Agency to enroll for Aadhaar. You can also search the nearest Enrolment center by clicking on “Locate Enrolment Center.” You have to enter the State, District, and locality for finding the nearest enrolment center.
- Do I need to bring original documents for Aadhaar enrolment?
Yes, you need to bring original copies of supporting documents for Aadhaar enrolment. These original copies will be scanned and handed back to you after the enrolment.
- Can I get myself enrolled for Aadhaar just by sending the required documents by Post?
No, you have to personally visit the Aadhaar enrolment center for getting yourself enroled as your Biometrics will be captured.
- Does one have to pay any fee for Aadhaar enrolment?
No, the Aadhaar enrolment is totally free of cost therefore you need not pay anything at the enrolment center.
- Is there any age limit for Aadhaar enrolment?
No, there is no age limit defined for Aadhaar Enrolment. Even a newborn baby can also get enrolled for Aadhaar.
- How much time does it take to get Aadhaar generated after the enrolment?
It takes up to 90 days for Aadhaar generation from the date of enrolment.
- You if don’t have the required documents for enrolment, here’s what you can do:
Yes, even if someone in a family does not has the required documents, the resident can still enroll if his/her name exists in the family entitlement document. In this case, the Head of Family in entitlement document needs to be enroled first with valid PoI & PoA document and then other family members can enroll based on EID/Aadhaar number of head of family. UIDAI accepts 8 document types as Proof of Relationship (PoR)
Stay tuned to The Live Mirror for more updates