How To File Income Tax Returns(ITR): Step-by-step guide on e-filing and offline filing
Here check out a step-by-step guide on how you can file ITR (Income Tax Returns). Know about how you can e-file or do the offline filing process for returns on the tax
Because of the pandemic Coronavirus outspread, the Finance Ministry has extended the dates for filing of ITR (Income Tax Returns) for the financial year 2020-21. All the taxpayers can file for the ITR till September 2021. If you are eligible for filing returns of taxes, then here’s your step-by-step guide on how to do it. Know how you can get registered on ITR portal as well.
How to get registered on ITR (Income Tax Returns) portal:
- You can start the the e-filing of ITR process by visiting the official website – https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal
- But first you need to have an account on the portal. Login/register to e-file your returns (if you have registered yourself on the portal earlier, then click on the Login Here option. Otherwise click on the Register Yourself button).
- Next up click on the Taxpayer option. The interface will ask you to enter your PAN. Once you enter it, click on validate option and then click on to continue.
- The page would now ask you to fill in basic details such as name, address, gender, residential status, date of birth, etc. Fill in all the details one by one.
- The page will also ask you to enter your personal Email ID and registered mobile number
- After you complete entering all the mandatory details, click on to the continue option.
- The page will now ask you to verify the details through a One Time Password (OTP), which would be sent to your registered phone number or Email ID.
- Enter the OTP as per the instructions on the page and continue
- After your details are verified, a new window will open, wherein you have to verify the details you entered earlier. Here you can change the details if there is any correction required
- The last step is to set a password for future logins
- Now click on to the register option. Soon you will receive an acknowledgement message about your registration being successful.
Step-by-step guide on how to e-file ITR (Income Tax Returns) on portal:
- Go to the official Income Tax e-filing website and click on the Login button (https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/login)
- Now enter your username and password. Then click on the continue option
- Once you successfully login to your account, continue with clicking on the e-file tab. Then click on the File Income Tax Return option.
- From this window, select the assessment year from the given options (the financial year that you want to file ITR)
The window will show up two options to file your returns online or offline. You can choose any
- If you are filing it online, choose how you wish to file your income tax returns as an individual, Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), or others.
- Click on to the individual option
- Now click on the income tax returns (ITR) option that you wish to file (Eg: ITR 2 can be filed by individuals and HUFs who don’t have income from business or profession. For the individual category, they can choose the option ITR1 or ITR4. Click on the Proceed with ITR1 option).
- Now mention the reason you want to file ITR. According to the section 1399(1), if the aggregate amount deposited by an individual exceeds Rs.1 crore in one or more current accounts during the any financial year, exceeds Rs.2 lakh on a foreign trip, or if a payment of more than Rs.1 lakh is paid on electricity bills, then the person can file their income tax returns. From the given options choose whichever suits you
- Now enter the details about your bank account. If you have already done this process, then you would have to pre-validate it.
- The window will direct you to a new page to file your ITR. This page will show up details which are already filled in by you. Go through the details mentioned. Once you find everything to be correct, then click on the confirm the summary of your returns and validate it.
- The last step here is to verify your returns and send a hard copy to the ITR department. The verification process is mandatory.
Step-by-step guide on how to file ITR offline:
- The ITR filing individual must fill in the Form 16
- You would need to add in the details and submit the papers to the ITR department
- After you submit the papers, you will receive an acknowledgement slip from the ITR department
Please note, individuals of around 80 years or above have the option of filing for ITR offline for their respective financial year. Also, individuals or HUF with income of less than Rs.5 lakh and those who are not entitled to receive a refund can also file offline through form 16.
For more such updates, stay hooked on to The Live Mirror.