World Art Day 2021: History, Importance and Quotes
World Art Day is celebrated in order to promote awareness of creative activity worldwide
World Art Day is an international celebration of the fine arts which was declared by the International Association of Art (IAA) in order to promote awareness of creative activity worldwide. Today, April 15 also marks the birthday of the greatest artist of all time, Leonardo da Vinci.
It was proclaimed at the 40th session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 2019. The 6th Annual World Art Day celebrations will include a special virtual exhibition centered on the theme of ‘You’re Not Alone.’ On this day, read to know its date, theme, history, and significance.
World Art Day 2021: History, Importance, and Quotes
The first observation of World Art Day took place in 2012. The official celebration of the day took place in Los Angeles, the USA in the year 2015, while in 2017, the International Association of Art formed its official US chapter. World Art Day’s proposal was put forward at the 17th General Assembly of the International Association of Art in Guadalajara by several notable global artists – Bedri Baykam of Turkey, Rosa Maria Burillo Velasco of Mexico, Anne Pourny of France, Liu Dawei of China, among others
World Art Day, a celebration to promote the development, diffusion, and enjoyment of art, signified at the 40th session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 2019. Every year, workshops, cultural events, conferences, and exhibitions are conducted across the world to celebrate World Art Day. However, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the celebrations this year would, however, would be subdued.
- The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls- Pablo Picasso
- A man paints with his brains and not with his hands- Michelangelo
- A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art- Paul Cezanne
- The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude – Friedrich Nietzsche
- If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced- Vincent Van Gogh
Happy World Art Day!