5 Best Breathing Exercises To Strengthen Lungs During COVID-19 Times
Try these 5 exercises to strengthen your lungs during Coronavirus Pandemic
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose. It happens when an infected person coughs or sneezes. The virus enters the body via the nose, mouth, and eyes. Some recent studies suggest that the virus may be airborne and can be spread through fine infected droplets that remain suspended in the air. India is at present dealing with the second wave of coronavirus pandemic. Keeping our lungs healthy is particularly important in these times. The reason being that the novel coronavirus primarily attacks the lungs and our respiratory system. This results in breathing problems and, in severe cases, pneumonia.
As coronavirus dominantly affects the respiratory system we should start practicing breathing exercises. They not only strengthen the respiratory system but also helps to fight the complication of coronavirus.
Benefits of breathing exercises
- They relax your body
- Improve oxygenation
- Help reduce stress
- Increase energy levels
- They detoxify your body
Here are five important breathing exercises to strengthen your respiratory system:
1. Pursed Lip Breathing:
- Relax your neck and shoulders.
- Keeping your mouth closed, inhale slowly through your nose for 2 counts.
- Purse your lips as though you were going to whistle.
- Exhale slowly by blowing air through your pursed lips for a count of 4.
2. Diaphragmatic Breathing:
- Lie on your back with your knees slightly bent and your head on a pillow.
- You may place a pillow under your knees for support.
- Place one hand on your upper chest and one hand below your rib cage.
- Slowly inhale through your nose, feeling your stomach pressing into your hand.
- Keep your other hand as still as possible.
- Exhale using pursed lips as you tighten your stomach muscles, keeping your upper hand completely still.
3. Alternate Nostril Breathing:
- Choose a comfortable seated position
- Lift up your right hand toward your nose, pressing your first and middle fingers down toward your palm, and leaving your other fingers extended.
- After an exhale, use your right thumb to gently close your right nostril.
- Inhale through your left nostril and then close your left nostril with your right pinky and ring fingers.
- Release your thumb and exhale out through your right nostril.
- Inhale through your right nostril and then close this nostril.
- Release your fingers to open your left nostril and exhale through this side.
- Continue this breathing pattern for up to 5 minutes.
4. Equal Breathing:
- Choose a comfortable seated position.
- Breathe in and out through your nose.
- Count during each inhale and exhale to make sure they are even in duration.
- Continue practicing this breath for at least 5 minutes.
5. Deep Breathing:
- While standing or sitting, draw your elbows back slightly to allow your chest to expand.
- Take a deep inhalation through your nose.
- Retain your breath for a count of 5.
- Slowly release your breath by exhaling through your nose.
Many COVID-19 positive patients face oxygen deprivation. To combat the issue we must practice the Pronol Breathing technique.
Here’s how to attempt Pronol Breathing Technique and get relief from sudden oxygen deprivation:
- You will need pillows: one below the neck, two below the chest, and two pillows placed below the shins.
- Start with lying on your belly
- Lying on your right side
- Sitting up with your legs extended in front of you
- Lying on the left side
- Go back to lying on your belly
- Make sure while you keep alternating your positions, but do not spend more than 30 minutes in one position.
POST COVID-19: How To Regain Your Strength:
- Due to the damage caused by the virus to the lungs and other organs, the body takes time to recover.
- You may take help from your doctor in adjusting to your new limitations.
- Take support from your family members and friends.
- Do things that require less energy for a month at least
- Don’t plan multiple activities for the same day as it may cause fatigue.
- Do your work slowly so as not to tire yourself.
- Prioritize the activities- do only those which are absolutely necessary.
- Eat a balanced protein-rich diet
- Have five daily servings of different fruits and vegetables.
- Give plenty of rest in between the activities.
- Breathe easily and properly during the activities.
- Do breathing exercises regularly to strengthen your lungs.
Pls, consult your doctor before attempting these exercises.