Link PAN with Aadhaar: How to link Pan card with Aadhaar card
How to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card? Here is a step by step guide
Pan Card and Aadhaar Card linking are mandatory for applying the Income Tax returns. It is also imperative for opening a bank account electronically and authenticating tax filings. If you have to carry out a banking transaction above Rs. 50,000, you have to get your PAN and Aadhar linked.
According to Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, every individual with PAN as of July 1, 2017, is eligible to obtain Aadhaar and must link PAN with Aadhaar. The taxpayer must always mention the Aadhaar number while filing an income tax return. If the PAN is not linked with Aadhaar before the due date, then the PAN will become inoperative.
The I-T Department adds that if you do not link your PAN to Aadhaar, then it will become invalid under Section-139AA of the Income Tax Act. Once your Pan Card becomes invalid, you will not even be able to file ITR online. You will also not be able to use Pan Card for any financial transactions.
In Budget 2021, the Union government added a new section 234H in the Income Tax Act. As per the new act, an individual will have to pay a penalty if PAN and Aadhaar are not linked after the end of the deadline. So if an individual misses the deadline, he or she will have to pay a penalty not exceeding more than Rs 1,000.
However, you can check your PAN Aadhaar link online status by visiting the income tax e-filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
How to check if your PAN and Aadhaar card is linked?
1) Go to the official site of the income tax department — www.incometax.gov.in.
2) Under ‘Our Services’, there will be an option of ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the homepage.
3) Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar Know About your Aadhaar PAN linking Status’ option.
4) A new page will open. Enter your PAN and Aadhaar Card details in the mentioned box.
5) Once you fill in the details, click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’.
6) The status of your Aadhaar-PAN will be displayed on the page. Example: Your PAN (PAN Aadhaar) is linked to Aadhaar number (Aadhar Number) if they are linked.
The deadline for linking PAN with the Aadhaar card is 30 June 2021. But it has been extended to September 30. The step was taken by the government in the wake of the second wave of coronavirus outbreaks in the country. Therefore the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has relaxed several deadlines related to income tax filing. If you haven’t done it yet, here’s a guide that’ll help you link PAN with the Aadhaar card.
Two ways to link your Pan and Aadhaar.
1. The Income Tax Department allows you to link Aadhaar with PAN via its official website for free. (e-Filing portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)
2. You can also pair PAN with Aadhaar through SMS or by visiting the nearest PAN service provider centre.
How to link PAN with Aadhaar online?
You can link your PAN with Aadhaar by the following process:
- First, visit the Income Tax e-filing portal – https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Next, register on it
- (Your PAN (Permanent Account Number) will be your user ID)
- After that, log in by entering the User ID, password and date of birth.
- A pop-up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
- If not, go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the Menu bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Details such as name date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the PAN details.
- Verify the PAN details on the screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar.
- If there is a mismatch, you need to get the same corrected in either of the documents.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “link now” button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN
How to link the Aadhaar card to the PAN card via SMS?
- You can link your Aadhaar with PAN via an SMS.
- You will need to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161
- In the text message, you need to type, ‘UIDAI PAN (12digit Aadhaar number) space (10-digit PAN Number)’
- Finally, tap on send.
How to link PAN card with Aadhaar card offline?
- The process of linking PAN with Aadhaar card can also be done offline.
- You’ll have to visit PAN service provider centre, NSDL or UTIITSL.
- Fill ‘Annexure-I’ form and produce supporting documents i.e. copy of PAN card and Aadhaar card.
- An individual will be asked to pay a prescribed fee.
- For any correction in the PAN details, the fee charged is Rs 110.
- For correcting Aadhaar details, the prescribed fee is Rs 25.
But if you are filing tax returns then chances are that your Pan Card is already linked to your Aadhaar card.
Here are things to remember:
1. If you are using online methods, an Aadhaar OTP will be generated in case your name does not match that on your PAN card. But your date of birth and gender matches. The OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered/linked to the Aadhaar number entered online. You will have to enter that OTP online to continue and complete the linking process.
2. So before proceeding to link your Pan Card with Aadhaar it is better to get the mismatch in Pan and Aadhaar corrected.