MEA says in ‘active touch’ with UK authorities over Vijay Mallya extradition
Nearly 10 days after a UK court ordered fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya’s extradition, the central government on Thursday said that the Indian mission there is in “active touch” with British authorities regarding the case.
Responding to a question on India’s future course of action in a media interaction, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, “On December 10, the Westminster Court had recommended that Mallya should be extradited to India. Now it will go to the Home Secretary who will have two months to formally order his extradition.”
He further informed that Mallya can also file an appeal against extradition within a period of two weeks. “We will have to see what happens next. I would like to tell you that our mission in London, they are in active touch with UK authorities on this issue,” the MEA spokesperson added.
To a separate question on absconding billionaire Mehul Choksi, Raveesh Kumar said that the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate’s request were submitted to the Antigua and Barbuda authorities. “Currently, the situation is that we are following up on it and requesting them to expedite their response”, he added.
On Nirav Modi, Raveesh Kumar said that India’s request is under the consideration of the UK Home Secretary before it can be sent to the court for a decision. “The CBI has charge sheeted both Nirav Modi and Choksi separately in the PNB scam,” he concluded.
It is to be noted that the UK’s Westminster Magistrate Court last week had ordered Mallya’s extradition to India to face fraud investigation. The 62-year-old fugitive businessman is being investigated for fraud and money-laundering amounting to an estimated Rs 9,000 crores by the Indian enforcement agencies.
Also Read: UK Court orders extradition of fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya