Mumbai Bridge Collapse: At least 6 killed, CM Devendra Fadnavis announces Ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh
Foot-over bridge collapsed near Mumbai's CSMT railway station; six killed and 34 others injured
In an unfortunate incident, at least 6 people were killed and 34 others were injured after a foot overbridge collapsed on Thursday evening near the landmark Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) railway station in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The injured were immediately shifted to St George’s Hospital and GT Hospital. Reports indicate that the death toll may rise further as some of the injured are critical.
While interacting with media persons, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis said, “Bridge collapse is a saddening event. We have ordered a high-level inquiry. This bridge was constructed in 1980. This bridge was found ‘fit’ in the structural audit. We are finding out who is responsible for this audit. We will take strict action against those responsible. Ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured. A preliminary inquiry report will come soon.”
Earlier, in a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that he was anguished by the loss of lives. Also, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that he was pained to hear about the unfortunate incident. Take a look:
Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the foot overbridge accident in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. Wishing that the injured recover at the earliest. The Maharashtra Government is providing all possible assistance to those affected.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 14, 2019
Pained to hear about the FOB incident near TOI building in Mumbai.
Spoke to BMC Commissioner and @MumbaiPolice officials and instructed to ensure speedy relief efforts in coordination with @RailMinIndia officials.
— Devendra Fadnavis (@Dev_Fadnavis) March 14, 2019
On the other hand, Union Ministers including Rajnath Singh and Piyush Goyal also tweeted and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured.
The collapse of a foot Overbridge in Mumbai is deeply saddening. My thoughts are with the families who lost their loved ones in this accident. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured.
— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) March 14, 2019
Railway Minister @PiyushGoyal expresses his sincere condolences to the family of the victims in Mumbai Bridge Collapse. Railway doctors and personnel are cooperating with BMC in relief and rescue operations.
— Piyush Goyal Office (@PiyushGoyalOffc) March 14, 2019
In the meantime, from BMC to Railway and vice versa, the blame game has been started. In a statement, the Ministry of Railways had earlier stressed that it was not responsible for the bridge maintenance. “The bridge was under the ambit of BMC (Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation). However, we’re extending all our supports to the victims. Railway doctors & personnel are cooperating with BMC in relief and rescue operations,” the Railways ministry said.