Sushant Singh Rajput Case: Bombay HC says ‘Media trial’ impacts probe
The Bombay High Court on Monday said that media trial can impact the probe on the case of Sushant Singh Rajput's death.
Sushant Singh Rajput passed away last year on June 14, in his Bandra residence and ever since, an investigation into his death is being carried out by the Central Bureau of Investigation, the Narcotics Control Bureau, and the Enforcement Directorate. However, on Monday, The Bombay High Court said that the media trial can impact the investigation.
“Sushant Singh Rajput death case: Bombay High Court rules that media trial during an ongoing investigation of any case, does impact the investigation,” reported ANI.
Here’s the tweet:
Sushant Singh Rajput death case: Bombay High Court rules that media trial during an ongoing investigation of any case, does impact the investigation. pic.twitter.com/mWOc4MSCCA
— ANI (@ANI) January 18, 2021
A bench of Chief Justice Dipankar Datta and Justice G S Kulkarni passed a detailed judgment, that stated: “While covering a suicide case, media houses should avoid – reconstructing crime scenes, interviews with potential witnesses, leaking sensitive and confidential information and to suggest that the person was of weak character.”
Further, the Bombay court stated, “We have issued guidelines for print and electronic media regarding reporting of cases of death and suicide and made the guidelines by Press Council of India applicable to electronic media”.
Lastly, the bench also held, “Some reporting by Republic TV and Times Now on Sushant Singh Rajput death case are prima facie contemptuous”. However, the bench refrained from initiating any action against them.
Stay tuned to The Live Mirror for more updates.