Coronavirus India: Tamil Nadu declares total lockdown in 5 cities
Complete lockdown for four days in Chennai, Madurai and Coimbatore, says Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
The COVID-19 Pandemic is currently on the rise in India. Today Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami has announced a complete lockdown to be effected in 5 cities. This measure is to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state. The chief minister requested the people to fully cooperate.
The CM said, that a lockdown will be effected in Chennai, Madurai, and Coimbatore Municipal Corporations from 6 a.m. on April 26 to 9 p.m. on April 29. The municipal corporations of Chennai, Madurai, and Coimbatore will enforce a total shutdown for four days. Salem and Tirupur will do the same thing. Only certain essential services would be allowed. There will be a blanket ban on all other work.
Small shops that sell vegetables and fruits will not be allowed to function. Groceries, vegetables, and fruits will be available in the mobile shops that have been arranged by the city corporations. These areas will be disinfected twice daily. The movement of people in other areas in these cities will be fully restricted. If anyone flouts the ban, their vehicles being confiscated, strict action will be taken.
Here is a list of activities that are allowed in these five areas during the lockdown period:
- Medical services like hospitals, laboratories, pharmacies, ambulances, and hearse services will be allowed to function.
- Essential service departments of the state government like the Secretariat, health and family welfare, police, revenue, and disaster management, electricity, Aavin milk, local administrative bodies, and water distribution.
- Thirty-three percent of employees in central government offices and banks can carry out the essential work.
- Amma canteens and ATMs can function
- Restaurants that accept orders through phone and deliver food at home are allowed to function.
- Permission will be granted to those helping the elders, the destitute, and persons with disabilities.
- Community kitchens set up by the government departments and local bodies will be permitted to function.
- Volunteer organizations helping the poor and needy shall be allowed to function with necessary permissions.
- Wholesale vegetable markets like Koyambedu will function abiding by the norms.
Tamil Nadu has recorded 1,683 cases till now of which 752 people have been discharged after they recovered.