South Africa’s David Miller has quit first-class cricket to focus on World Cup
South African international David Miller has stepped aside from first-class cricket in order to concentrate on the 50-over format ahead of next year’s World Cup in England and Wales, reported Reuters on Monday.
“It was a tough decision to make.” But, “I have decided that I would, in future, like to concentrate on white ball cricket to make sure that I am in a position to give myself the best opportunity to play for the Proteas in the format that I love,” said Miller in a media release from Cricket South Africa (CSA).
Also Read: It’s been the most surreal four days of my life: Cook on his farewell Test
“This is an important decision for me, especially with the World Cup looming next year,” he added, according to the release.
The 29-year-old, who along with India’s Rohit Sharma jointly holds the record for the fastest Twenty-20 international century from 35 balls, also informed that in a bid to perform for the World Cup he will play domestic limited overs cricket for the Dolphins.
“I will be available to play for the Dolphins in all limited-overs competitions and will give it my all to help them win trophies this season.”
Miller has so far scored 3,342 first-class runs in 63 matches, averaging 36.32 with six hundred and 19 half-centuries.
Also Read: Will IPL shift to foreign country for general elections?
He has played 100 ODIs and 57 T-20 so far for South Africa but is yet to represent his country in a single Test match. And CSA Chief Executive Thabang Moroe is hopeful that Miller will make himself available in first-class cricket in the future to increase his chance for a Test call-up.
“It is disappointing to lose David from our pool of potential test players,” said Moroe, reported the news agency. “At the age of 29 he still has many years of good cricket left in him in all formats but at the same time, we have to understand that he wants to throw his full weight into helping the Proteas to win the ICC World Cup.
“He has time on his hands to resume his first-class career in due course and I sincerely hope that we have not seen the last of him in red ball cricket where he has shown his undeniable talents in the past.”
Image Source: Cricbuzz