Aadhaar Update: How To Verify An Aadhaar Number Online
How to verify an Aadhaar number online. Here's a step-by-step guide you can follow to verify your Aadhaar number online.
Aadhaar Card is one of the most credible government documents. It is a 12-digit unique number issued to the residents of Indian by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India. The Aadhaar Card is widely accepted in both Government and private sectors. From opening a bank account, applying for a passport to filing an income tax return. Aadhaar is also a valid residential proof too. The Aadhaar card is also an important paper in government dealings and also for personal finances.
Recently The Unique Identification Authority Of India (UIDAI) issued a warning regarding the Aadhaar card. It tweeted that not every 12 digit number is an Aadhaar card number. It is suggested that Aadhaar should be verified before accepting it as identity proof. So you should always check someone’s Aadhaar to know whether the Aadhaar number given by the person is correct.
Here is all you need to know:
How To Check If The Aadhaar Card Is Correct or Fake?
If you’re an Aadhaar cardholder then in few simple steps you can lock and unlock Aadhaar biometric data online. But if you are not sure whether Aadhaar number exists then you can verify it online via the UIDAI’s website. To verify it offline you have to scan the QR code on the card. In order to verify Aadhaar online, one has to follow some simple steps.
How to verify the Aadhaar number:
The Aadhaar verification can be done easily online. For verification, one needs to visit the UIDAI link resident.uidai.gov.in/verify. After going through the link you will need to enter the 12 digits Aadhaar number, after filling the captcha, click on the button of Verify. After doing this, you will see the authenticity of the 12 digit number on the screen. If it does not verify the number then it means that you are being duped.
Steps to protect yourself from fraud:
1.Go to the official UIDAI portal and on the top right side of the website, select the ‘My Aadhaar’ option from the drop-down menu.
2. In the drop-down menu, select the ‘Verify an Aadhaar Number’ option.
3. You will find this under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ section.
4. This will take you to a new page where you will be asked to enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number (UID), along with a captcha.
5. Once you have entered it, click the ‘Proceed to Verify’ button at the bottom.
6. You will be redirected to a new page where it will display the details of the Aadhaar card number if it is valid or if it exists.
7. It will also provide the status as to whether or not the card has been issued.
Extra steps for added security:
In addition to verifying, it through the website, for the purpose of convenience, UIDAI has also made it possible for users to do the verification process via the mAadhaar app. The app can be downloaded via the Google Play Store or Apple Store.
Pointers to prevent fraudulent activity with your card number.
- Delete any and all downloaded e-Aadhaar material from public computers.
- Under no circumstances should you share your One-Time Password (OTP)
- Do not allow others to attach or link their mobile numbers to your Aadhaar card.
- Keep your biometrics locked.
- This can be down via the UIDAI portal and users can unlock the same with the use of their registered mobile number.
- Check your Aadhaar authentication history on a regular basis.
Use a Masked Aadhaar or Virtual ID (VID).
This is a temporary revocable 16-digit random number mapped with the Aadhaar number. It can be used in the place of an Aadhaar number whenever you need to do authentication or conduct an e-KYC service. The advantage here is that the Aadhaar number cannot be taken from the VID.