The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner’s Guide to Indian Keto Diet
Indian Keto Diet: Here is all you wanted to know about the trendy diet that helps you to lose fat and gain energy.
This is an era of maintaining not only your health but weight too. Yes, Weight gain is the major bane of the present generation. They are always on the lookout for some new ways and methods to lose all that extra fat and maintain a good BMI index. We have heard about a number of diet plans from the Paleo Diet, Whole30, DASH, Mediterranean Diet and the Ketogenic Diet.
Today we are going to talk to you about the Ketogenic Diet, what it is? How does it work? Benefits and rules to follow. But as we are Indians here is a perfect Indian Ketogenic Diet for you.
What is Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet (or keto diet) is a low-carb, high-fat diet that offers many health benefits. Keto Diet helps in reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called Ketosis
How does Keto Diet work?
When you shift your diet from higher carbs to higher fats, you are pushing your body to use fats as primary energy sources and not glucose. This way your body begins to utilize fats more efficiently. The deprivation of carbs compels your body to use the next available source of energy which are the stored fats. So, that’s how you begin to burn off those extra pounds.
What is Ketosis?
Ketosis starts when your body begins to produce Ketones; This happens when your body breaks down fat for energy. Ketones are produced in this process which helps breakdown fats that are stored in the liver. When you starve your body of carbs, you urge it to get the metabolic rate high which in turn helps you to reduce weight.
It helps to keep you healthy:
A ketogenic diet can help you lose much more weight than a low-fat diet. It can boost insulin sensitivity and cause fat loss, leading to significant health benefits for people with type 2 diabetes. Not only diabetes but also for Heart Disease, Cancer, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Polycystic ovary syndrome, and Acne too.
Food to be avoided in Keto Diet:
Here is a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, Rice, wheat, corn, barley, quinoa, and cereals.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: No rajma, kidney beans, lentils, and no pulses too.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases.
Foods to Eat in Keto Diet:
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna, and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Go for Butter, Cream, Cheese.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cauliflower, etc.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices.
Water plays an important role:
Indian Keto diet is a diuretic. You need to drink gallons of water to supplement your body with the lost electrolytes. it’ll help you optimize your body’s functionality and also helps suppress hunger.
If you feel any nausea, fatigue, headache, and even cramps. Do not worry as your body is adjusting from burning sugar or glucose for energy to burning fats instead. You might even lose some stamina during the initial days but as your body gets adjusted you will feel much healthier.
A ketogenic diet can be great for people who are overweight, diabetic or looking to improve their metabolic health. And, as with any diet, it will only work if you are consistent. Avoid tea and coffee instead opt for black tea or coffee without sugar. Stevia can be a viable option if you feel the need. Avoid munching in between meals. Have a heavy breakfast and a decent lunch.
Keto diet plans are generally followed for a span of 4 weeks or more. If you decide to go on a Keto diet for longer or for a different reason, consult with an expert.