Karnataka: 11 died, 90 hospitalised after consuming temple’s ‘Prasad’, 2 held
Two persons have been arrested after 11 people killed, including two children and more than 90 were hospitalised on Friday after consuming religious food offering (Prasad) at a temple in Karnataka’s Chamarajanagar district, a minister in the state cabinet told NDTV.
According to reports, all the deceased and affected people consumed the rice-based offering served at the Kichu Maranda temple in Sulivadi village, located around 160 km from Bengaluru.
According to NDTV reports, several crows have also been found dead after eating the Prasad. The police are looking for five more suspects.
Puttaranga Shetty, the minister in charge of Chamarajanagar paid a visit to the hospital where those affected people are being treated. He said that the dispute between two groups could be the reason behind this incident.
“Whoever may be the culprit, action will be taken against them. Police are investigating the case and have already arrested two people. There was some dispute between the two groups. I think something has happened,” Mr Shetty told news agency ANI.
He said that 47 patients are being shifted to Care Hospital, 17 are in JSS Hospital and others are admitted in different Mysuru hospitals. “Around 91 patients have been shifted from Chamarajnagar to Mysuru,” he said.
Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy has announced a compensation of Rs. 5 lakh for each of the victims’ families.
It is to be noted that the religious offering was distributed after the temple’s foundation-laying ceremony.
“Doctors think the toxin could be a pesticide,” said an officer, adding that an investigation will confirm how the toxic substance entered the food.